Thursday 11 December 2014

ITS TIME TO BE SLOW

Photo:  Lindé Davies
Photo:  Lindé Davies
Photo:  Lindé Davies
Photo:  Lindé Davies
Photo:  Lindé Davies
Photo:  Lindé Davies
Photo:  Lindé Davies
Photo:  Lindé Davies
Photo:  Lindé Davies
This time of year - somehow always arrives a bit unexpectedly - it feels like just yesterday we were still enjoying the last of the summer sun and those long September evenings ... and suddenly here we are - December is in full swing, Christmas Eve is 2 weeks away, office parties and catching up with friends -  shopping and gift wrapping and xmas card writing -  catching up on projects that were left till the last minute... trying to catch our breath as the end of the year is soon rushing closer with each passing day.

Does anyone else feel like the days are getting shorter,  the hours in the day, and how much we can actually accomplish just does not feel to quantify to the same 24 hours we used to have even just 10 years ago.  I wish time could stand still for just a couple of hours a day -  just imagine.... what would you do with you extra hours?

Strange how just one click on the net can lead you somewhere so unexpectedly.  I stumbled upon 'slow-watches' in the same unexpected manner - and before I knew it - a couple of email exchanges, and one late November afternoon I receive my first slow watch!  Almost in a flash!  What makes a slow watch somehow that much more desirable is not only the beautiful and minimalistic design, the lack of any branding or trademarks - or the very unique face - showing a full day, as in all 24 hours of the day!  Genius ... I hear you say,  yes 'genius' is what I thought too first time round!  But what I like most of all is the beauty behind the concept - to slow down in a lifetime where everything seems to be happening in the fast lane, and if you're not running at a hundred miles an hour - you're not part of the game.  No!  That's not what life is about.  Even though at times it could be exhilarating and fun, it can also be exhausting and lead to confusion and burn out.

That's not why we are living, that's not why we are here on this beautiful planet, just to make a living. The concept behind the slow brand is to stop watching time, stop counting the hours till home-time, the minutes till your next meeting - stop running to get on the tube before the doors close....
Take time out, take time to be slow - watch the passing clouds drift by your office window.... escape for an afternoon with your best mate and take a train ride out to the countryside - or the seaside or the mountains - stop clock-watching and start being consciously slow.   (eventhough I must admit, since I have this beauty on my arm - I can't keep my eyes of the slowly passing of the hours!

And I quote from their website  'slow does not describe a speed…. It’s a mindset that most of us somehow lost. As a result of our busy lifestyles, we often forget that we actually have a choice of how to live. The slow watch (we named it slow Jo) is a subtle reminder that time is the most precious thing we have so we should enjoy everything we do and stop chasing every minute. '

The watch itself is Swiss made - perfectly symmetrical - timelessly elegant.  Even the smallest of details where taking into consideration - the packaging is stunning, smooth black and perfectly squared!  I love the chunkiness of it on my slightly slim wrist - and I can easily change from my black leather band to a beautiful mesh strap with a solid and fail-proof clip.  They even include a handy little tool with your strap, which makes it seamlessly easy to change from one to the other. My photos are all with the black leather strap and over the next few weeks I will share some shots of the mesh strap also.  Not sure which is my favorite - I just love both!


The founders of slow are a couple of friends who had the same ideas, the same mindset and vision and the same motivation to create something different, something unique - a beautiful timepiece - and wow!  something very unique was created by this collaboration - not only to tell the time, but to accompany you on your journey, to live an adventurous life - and to take it slow to embrace friendships and spending time with those close to you - learn a new hobby, read a book - go for a surf!  Go be - go live - lets all get out more but take more time to fully enjoy the experience.

And .... if you still haven't found that special gift for that special someone - go on, spoil them - spoil yourself - you won't regret it, I promise you!

Happy festive season to you all...

xx


Images by me
Visit slow watches here

A big thank you to Chris and Corvin at slow for sponsoring this post - you absolutely rock

No comments:

Post a Comment